Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grandma Funeral and Lizzy Wedding

April was a pretty crazy month. My sister was getting married on April 30th in San Antonio. Lizzy and Brandon were scheduled to arrive on Sunday the 26th, Tuesday the out of town guests started arriving, Wednesday she was taking out her endowments, Thursday was the wedding and Friday was the reception. The week of her wedding was going to be very busy! To make things even more fun, my Grandma's funeral was taking place on Saturday April 25th in Oregon.

So Wednesday evening, my parents and my 2 brothers and I packed up our neighbors van and started the 36 hour drive to Oregon. Did I mention we drove 36 hours straight?!! It was quit the trip, with the car trying to overheat, the electrical systems going haywire and all of us packed into the van. But we did get to see some of the most beautiful scenery! It was also the first time I'd been back to Portland in 7 years and it's been almost 10 years since I've seen some of my extended family. Surprisingly, we didn't kill each other after being in the car for so long.

We drove for 36 hours, made only a few stops along the way and we made it just in time for the family gathering Friday afternoon. We meet up with my sister Katie and her daughter Bryleigh (they flew in). My Uncle made the casket and my Aunt made the lining. It was beautiful and matched my Grandpa's. The service and brunch afterward was also beautiful and you really got to see the impact my Grandma had on people. Sadly we only got to spend 36 hours there for the funeral services and left again Sunday morning for the drive home. This time my Mom flew home to meet Lizzy and Brandon and start preparing for the wedding. So it was just me and boys! It was a crazy trip, but well worth it! Now I can't wait to see the family together again for our family reunion this summer.

Isn't this fun?!!

Look at all that caffeine!

This is how we really felt.....

We came up over a ridge and suddenly found ourselves looking down the barrel of a tank! They were driving down the highway!

This was just after sunrise in Eastern Oregon

The whole family.....what a legacy she left behind!

No comments: