Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A little more discretion please....

Sometimes I think doctors should use a little more discretion when talking about patients while they're sitting in the patient rooms. I heard all my results and next steps before the Dr. even entered the room to tell me. It probably didn't help that I'm incredibly nosey by nature and when I heard the Dr. on the phone I immediately tuned my ears into what he was saying and quickly picked up on the fact that he was talking about me. Regardless, drs. should be a little more careful about what they say and who they say it to when patients are around.

For those that are left wanting more information; here's a little back ground on what I'm talking about. I found out I had a heart murmur when I was in middle school and saw a cardiologist every year until I was 18. At 18 I moved onto an adult cardiologist and I was cleared to go every 2 years. (The Dr. wasn't to concerned because most kids out grow their murmurs as they get older.) Well life got in the way and it's been about 8 years since I've gone. My fertility Dr gave me a little nudge to go back again and I agreed, but mostly because I've noticed over the last few years I get short of breathe over simple things that an active 28 yr old shouldn't get short of breathe for. So I went 2 weeks ago and the Dr. was surprised at how loud and how noticeable the murmur had gotten. He schedule me for an echo cardiogram and I had that done last week. I won't go into detail, but man are those fun!! (Just picture an ultrasound probe being mashed into your ribs and chest for 45 mins) Today I had the follow-up and this is why I posted the above comment. The Dr wasn't to thrilled about the results from the echo. He said they were inconclusive and it didn't really give him the insight he wanted on what was really causing the murmur to have gotten stronger over the last several years. So now it's onto a Cardiac MRI. I should be getting a call from the hospital to schedule that tomorrow. For now, we do the usual waiting game.

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a nice doctor to talk so loudly that you could hear him. I'm you're having to wait even longer now. I admire the patience you're having, because I wouldn't, okay I don't have patience.