Friday, August 20, 2010

26 Weeks and one crazy night

We hit another really big milestone today, 26 weeks!!!! I can't believe its already been 3 weeks since I got here. Time sure is going by quickly and hopefully it will remain that way.

The last few days I haven't been feeling that great. My stomach has been upset and things just haven't felt quite right. Yesterday I felt pretty lousy all day and I lived off Sprite to try and calm my stomach down. After having my second trip to the restroom I could tell something was different about these stomach pains. I called the nurse in and she gave me some meds to stop the bathroom trips and we decided to call the labor and delivery nurse over. She did some manual monitoring by putting her hand on my stomach and she could feel enough contractions that she wanted to bring the monitors in. I was hooked up to the monitors for 30 mins and they picked up contractions that were pretty regular and more organized then before. They called the dr. and decided to move me back to labor and delivery. They wanted to start another IV and get me going on fluids and a narcotic to easy the contractions. I must have been really dehydrated because it took them 3 times to get the IV. The spot they finally got was right by my elbow, so every time I moved it hurt like crazy. By then the contractions were enough that I could feel them every 10 mins and they were getting more intense. I was really starting to get worried that this might be it and we were going to have the babies last night.

The narcotic made me really hypersensitive so for hours anything that touched my skin felt like a thousand needles poking into my skin. That really made it fun to have 3 bands and 3 monitors on my stomach. Then the restless leg set in and I couldn't hold my legs still. I really felt like I was on the verge of a nervous break down. The bed was terribly uncomfortable and I just felt miserable. I guess it really made me appreciate the room and freedom I had. They tried giving me Zofran for the nausea and to help me sleep but that didn't do much. Chris was really good and trying to keep me calm by rubbing my legs to ease the pain. They ended up giving me Phenergan and an Ambien just so I could calm down and sleep. Once I was able to sleep for a few hours the contractions really slowed down in frequency and intensity. Luckily they slowed down enough that we were disconnected from everything and sent back to my room this morning. With everything off I could actually sleep and I feel so much better. Hopefully this was the last episode like this and we can make it 10 more weeks.

1 comment:

Dave and Britni said...

Good heavens, that does sound really crazy! I'm glad that you were able to get some sleep. You guys are still in our prayers and I am counting weeks with you. It's a bit silly, but I think I look forward to Fridays (because they're your progress mark) more than I do Saturdays (my progress day). My parents know your parents (I'm not sure if you've met them) but you are in their prayers also. There are people that love you and are praying for you and your family all across this country. I can't wait to hear more about the coming weeks!!