Monday, August 30, 2010

Just when you think things are going good

Friday we hit the 27 week mark, yeah! Can't believe we've been here for 4 weeks already. No one really thought when we came in at 23 weeks, 3cm dilated and fully effaced that we would make it this far. Every day is a blessing and we just hope that we can hit the next 2 big milestones; 28 weeks and 30 weeks.

Sunday the Perinatologist finally made it in to get an updated growth measurement on the babies. Things turned out even better then I thought they would!

Baby A - head down, huge head (measuring at 32 weeks!) and weighing in at a whopping 3lbs 3oz! Last month he was in the 88th percentile and this time he's in the 90's.

Baby B - breech, normal sized head and weighing in at 2lbs 13oz. He is also in the 90th percentile!

What a blessing to have such good growing boys. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that if something were to happen, they would at least be at decent weight.
I had a great weekend with Chris and he was able to come up Saturday afternoon and he stayed until Monday morning. I hadn't seen him much last week, so it was a real mood and spirit booster to have him here. I was finally starting to feel better and was able to eat real food again on Sunday. Things were looking really good and I was thinking that I could make it 9 more weeks.

Monday started off pretty normal, Chris getting ready for work and I was planning my big day to hang out in bed and do nothing. Chris left mid-morning and I got up to wash my face and brush my teeth. Around 12:30 I was laying in bed updating this and suddenly had the uncomfortable sensation that I just peed my pants. I jumped up and ran to the bathroom and more kept coming. My heart dropped because I knew what this was. I called the nurse and she came in and confirmed that it was amniotic fluid. She called L&D and they came and did an very uncomfortable test and exam. They sent us back to L&D and hooked me up to the monitors to make sure the babies were ok. I did manage to call Mom and Chris and they came right away. Chris was lucky enough to get pulled over and got a ticket on the way here.

The dr. came in and did an ultrasound to find out who was losing the fluid and confirm the babies positions. The fluid levels looks good, so she decided to start an IV again and start a course of antibiotics and see if labor started up. Luckily there have been very few contractions. We were able to come back to our room to hopefully get a good nights sleep. Unfortunately all those antibiotics are wrecking havoc on my stomach, so now we're trying to get that under control. To make things worse, I'm on strict bed rest until tomorrow morning; no bathroom privileges.

We'll find out more tomorrow, but it looks like baby A's big head is helping to plug the leak and keeping things from progressing for now. The hope is that we can stay this way for a few more weeks to get to the 32 week mark. If things remain the same, no contractions, etc then I will be able to have my bathroom privileges restored, continue the IV antibiotics for a few more days and things go back to the way they were. Apparently there are several people here that are leaking fluid. So I get to hang out in bed and feel like I'm constantly peeing for the next few weeks. But at least it's better then having the babies now.

No comments: